We talk a lot here at Penelope Loves Lists about what makes us a Penelope. But I got to thinking about the fact that there are a few ways in which I am stunningly un-Penelope. I thought I’d share. But, the deal is, you have to air your dirty laundry, too. Read on…
5 Ways in which I’m not as Penelope as you’d think:
- I have a much larger closet in our new home and I love it. Love, love love. I do not, however, have matching hangers. Never have. People are constantly surprised by this. I could have matching hangers, I know this. They don’t have to be expensive. But I just don’t care enough to do it. Very un-Penelope.
- I despise clutter and my house is extremely clutter-free. But, I hoard books. Books are the one category of “stuff” that doesn’t qualify as clutter in my mind. Can’t. Have. Too. Many. Books. Even unwieldly piles of books are fine by me. More than fine, they’re comforting. I’ve got a pile by my bed, a pile on the table by my seat on the couch, and shelves full of books I’ve not yet gotten a chance to read. Kinda bugs my husband, but I just have to be surrounded by books.
- My pajama drawer is constantly a mess. Every other drawer I have is completely organized by type of clothing and even color. But, since I was a kid, my pajamas are just un-wrangleable. No idea why.
- I can’t stand cleaning the shower. In fact, honestly? If my husband didn’t especially love a clean shower, and clean it himself regularly, I shudder to think what our shower would look like. There, I said it.
- I’ll use things longer than you’d think. I have a coffee cup that I bought with my niece that has a chip in it. But I use it almost daily, mainly because it reminds me of her. The chip doesn’t ruin that, in fact, it makes me love it more. And, we have a faded, green sofa with fraying edges and flat cushions that I only parted with when we got our new house and it simply didn’t fit the larger living areas. We put the sofa in a guest room temporarily and I still find myself drawn to it. The truth is, the majority of this post was written from that tired, old, comfy couch.
And now, confession time. What about you? In what ways are you not as Penelope as people would guess?
Originally posted in April 2011. Re-posted in 2015 because every damn one of these things is still true.