Last week, we got our keyboards nice and clean. Now, we need to give a little love to our desks as a whole. This assignment applies to you whether you work at a formal office, a home office or at a nook in the kitchen.
Let’s take just 8-10 minutes and see what we can do. Move fast and don’t get distracted. This shouldn’t take a bunch of time or be a big struggle.
- Take everything that’s not plugged in off your desk.
- Get a damp cloth and wipe down the entire surface of the desk.
- If you haven’t already cleaned your keyboard, take a minute to do that.
- Gently use a dry cloth (or these handy anti-static monitor wipes) to dust your monitor.
- Wipe down your phone and other items you’re constantly putting your hands on with a Glass Plus Wipes towelette. Look at the handset of your phone where your ear goes. Isn’t that gross?
- Quickly glance through your pencil cup and make sure you’ve only got pens, etc. in there that you really use. Remove anything that shouldn’t be there. (For example, you probably don’t need that half of a red crayon in that cup, right?)
- Now start to put things back on your desk, but use this opportunity to ditch anything that doesn’t have to be there. A less cluttered desk = a less cluttered mind.
I realize that there are many more things you could do to fully clean every item on your desk, but, for our purposes here, we’re just looking for a good, simple level of clean. I think if we feel that we have to get into the nittiest of the gritty in tasks like these, we’re less likely to actually tackle them. So, for now, this is good enough.
Now, step back and admire your handiwork. Feels good, doesn’t it?
Good job, Penelope. Now back to work.