One of the best parts of writing Penelope Loves Lists is sharing our favorite websites. I know it’s a little old school, loving a website, rather than an Instagram feed or Tumblr page. (I honestly don’t even know what a Tumblr page is – I’m just trying to sound fancy.)
But, no matter how old school it may be, we think certain kinds of sites will especially appeal to the Penelope Personality. And since we’re devoted to you heart and soul, we’re bringing you this series.
Penelope Moms, this site is for you.
It’s written by a smart mom of 3 kids under 8 who understands the stresses of a mom’s life AND the additional pressures we put on ourselves to be Pinterest perfect. Her website is all about providing tools and resources to be the best mom she can be, while also giving herself a hefty dose of grace. And she helps us do the same.
- Started in: approximately 2010
- Author: Stephanie Morgan and like-minded, talented contributors
- What is it: As Stephanie puts it: they’re all about “being in the moment and doing their best to live the parenting good life – whilst always allowing room for imperfection.” I like it.
- Our favorite thing about the site: I’ve found this website to be a tremendous resource for me as I raise our youngest, 4 yo Jackson. Tons of ideas for books to read, activities to do for both playtime and learning time, and a sense of humor about the difficult things involved in parenting in the Pinterest age.
- Favorite recurring feature: My hands-down favorite feature on the site are their Gift Guides. MPMK offers so many lists of fantastic toys to buy for boys or girls, for all ages and stages, for different areas of interest. Her website is my first stop before every birthday and holiday celebration, for Jackson and all my nieces, nephews and kids of friends. Some favorites (but there are many more) include Top “Vroom” Toys and Best Toys for Princess Lovers. She also has lists for every age and stage of childhood. I have not bought a single toy on her recommendation that has been a disappointment.
- Every Penelope will want to read this: Her posts called “Project Organize Your Entire Life”. There is a lot in this section, and every post will appeal to your Penelope self. I always finds new areas of my home I want to organize as well as resources to do it in this series. And you HAVE to read the post that started it all: a tongue-in-cheek essay on how she “organized her entire life”, which she describes in incredible detail. But read through ’til the end. The punch line is worth it.
- Post that will make you want to send your preschooler to elementary school… right now: How to Set Up a Homework Station Anywhere.
- The best reason to enter your email address in a box: Her newsletter, MPMK Goldmine, is really that… a goldmine. I look forward to receiving it because there is always something of interest to me there. It’s rare I’d recommend a newsletter, but this one is…um… gold.
- A word of caution: as a Penelope, your natural tendency is going to be to want to read through every post and download every printable because you’ll just KNOW that you now have the secret to getting your parent act together. You do, but pace yourself, my Penelope friend. Don’t go too hard or you’ll burn yourself out. A post or two every couple of days is plenty to give yourself time to digest.
- Best way to follow: I’ve already said I think her newsletter is the Cat’s Meow, but I also love their Facebook feed.