New Year’s resolutions suck, so I don’t do them. No one does, right? When I see a segment on the Today Show about not making New Year’s resolutions, I gotta think no one’s making them anymore. If Al Roker’s on board, we’re all on board, is what I say.
I do, however, take some time at the start of each year to make a few goals for myself. More than anything, I make a list of a few things that I plan to be more “intentional” about in the coming year. (I hate the word “intentional” because it’s so overused, but, it’s the best word here.)
Here’s my Penelope-spin on it, though: I make sure to schedule, on my calendar, quarterly “check in” appointments with the list, just to make sure I’m still on track. That’s been the game-changer for me, the regular checking in.
A few goals for 2010:
- Do one thing every day that scares the pee-waddle out of me. This includes most activities related to my blog.
- Do at least one thing each day to show my husband how much I respect and love him, even (or especially) when I don’t feel like it. I need to put action to my love for this gorgeous man.
- Try to be present in each moment, instead of always wondering, and worrying about, what the next one holds. This one’s a doozy for me. If there was a World Championship Title for Worrying, I’d totally be a contender.
- Buy less and use more of what I already own (this applies to my clothes, books and notebooks. Especially notebooks. Most especially grid paper notebooks.)
- Appreciate every day with my kids, even when having them makes my life almost unbearably busy, because they are not going to live with us forever and they’re just getting good and I don’t want to wish even a second away.
- Run regularly, even though I don’t love it.
What about you? What’s your single biggest goal for 2010?
- Just One Resolution This year, I’m not putting together a list of New...
- Learning to Be More Present in Each Moment: How I’m Saving My Sanity One Minute at a Time I’m not one for New Year’s resolutions, but this year,...
- My To Do List Hates Me or, why your daily task list is defeating you We all make the Daily To Do List. Problem is,...