As a Penelope, I like to clean, most of the time. Sure, when I’m tired I don’t feel like it, but mostly, cleaning is fun. I like a tidy, fresh living environment and my husband and kids do, too. We pitch in and generally, we’re pretty proud of our abode.
There are a few chores, though, that I really dislike. I’m not quite sure why, I just hate doing them. They annoy me. These are what I’ve come to think of as my “Spencer Pratt” chores.
I decided to spend a week timing how long it actually takes me to do them, just to get a sense of how truly onerous these tasks are:
- Wet mop my hardwood floors (12 minutes)
- Cleaning the shower (10 minutes)
- De-crumbing the toaster and cleaning around it. (5 minutes)
- Paying bills (9 minutes)
WAIT! So, I spend more time dreading these tasks than it takes to actually do them? How dumb is that?
I challenge you to choose 3 tasks you really dislike either at work or at home and time how long they really take. Once you know what your time investment actually is, you might find, as I did, that you can re-frame the task.
Rather than thinking “Geez, I really hate doing this, but, here goes…grumble grumble”, I now say “I’m going to take 12 minutes and then I’ll have floors that are nice and clean”. OK, that sentence is obnoxious and I want to smack myself, but you know what I mean.
It’s amazing what a little perspective will do for you. (I still loathe Spencer Pratt, though. That ain’t changin’.)
For more tips on doing some “dirty jobs” around the house, see this feature from Real Simple.
Originally posted in 2010, but I use this phrase so often that it’s become famous in my circles. Had to re-post. I think, today, I may have called these my “Scott Disick chores”.
- Makeup Drawer Before and After : or, how to make a huge difference in just 5 minutes My makeup drawer is one I use about 10 times...
- I secretly like some of my weekend chores I know I’m supposed to complain about the various chores...
- On my mind: attention is love I’ve been incredibly challenged and inspired by the comments on...