Sigh. Tax time. Taxes, financial advisers, time away from work to meet with these people and talk about boring things. None of this is real exciting. All of it’s necessary, right?
Some preparation needs to be done to get ready for the onslaught of tax documents that will hit your mailbox in mid-late January. This is the stuff you’ll need handy when you either go see your tax guy or you do your own taxes.
Here’s how I handle this:
- In the last week of the December of each year, I organize and file all of that past year’s financial documents and store them in my fire-safe file box.
- Once that’s done, I label a new folder and put it at the front of my file box that houses my current year’s financial documents (where I file my daily mail, etc.)
- As the tax documents come in (those W2s, 1098s, 1099-Gs, etc.), I simply slip them into that handy folder.
- When I’m ready to go see Tax Guy, I grab and go.
Penelope Tip: use this as an excuse to buy some zotchy new file folders. Doesn’t hurt to have your tax documents looking pretty.
Marci over at Overcoming Busy also just did a nice post on Tax Time Tips. You should check out what she’s got to say about it, too.
Sexy? No. Simple? Yes. And with taxes, that’s about as good as it gets.
- A Tool for the Penelope on the Go: Cascading File Tote One of the great things about my job is that...
- Why You Won’t Find Any Piles of Mail in My House This is not going to surprise any of you, but...
- Finally ready to officially take a break (plus a few photos) Hi Penelopes, I’m so sorry for yet another round of...