Raise your hand if you’ve been caught in the pantry with a big spoon of peanut butter! (I realllly hope I’m not the only one with my hand awkwardly in the air). Sometimes our bodies are craving that quick dose of protein and burst of energy that peanut butter provides.
No need to hang your head in shame over peanut butter any longer! These quick peanut butter energy bites will give you the dose of protein and simple sugar that your body needs pre-workout or work meeting. Plus they’re a great way to get in some extra flax and chia seed which both provide their own sources of nutrition.
10-12 Dates – pitted
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (or other nuts – almonds, cashews)
A few scoops of protein powder
3 Tbsp flaxseed meal
2-3 Tbsp Chia Seeds
1/3 to 1/2 cup Peanut Butter (you can’t use the completely natural kind, its too oily and soft. I usually use Jif organic natural. It still has enough structure to stay formed when cool.)
Chocolate Chips (optional – but, not optional if you like reese’s peanut butter cups. You’re welcome!)
- In a food processor grind pitted dates and seeds/nuts until finely chopped.
- Add protein powder, flax and chia seeds. Process until combined.
- Add peanut butter and process until a “dough” forms. (The trick is to add the peanut butter a bit at a time. You don’t want the mix to get too soft or it won’t hold shape. You are looking for a fairly dry texture but firm enough to stay in a ball when formed.)
- Place the mixture into a medium bowl and add the chocolate chips. With a large spoon, incorporate chocolate chips until evenly distributed. It can be difficult because of the drier texture.
- Once combined, scoop balls and roll them in your hands.
- Place on a cookie sheet and put in fridge for a few hours until firm. Then you can put them all in a ziplock or tupperware and store in the fridge!