I despise small talk more than almost anything. And the holidays, while wonderful, bring tons of opportunities for social occasions demanding just this, potlucks, corporate holiday parties, even large family gatherings with relatives you see only once a year. I hate wondering what to say next. Gives me panic.
So, today I’m bringing you just a couple of resources that might make this a bit easier. Best advice: listen more, speak less. A glass of wine doesn’t hurt, either. Just sayin’.
- The Happiness Project brings Seven Tips for Making Good Conversation with a Stranger
- The Brazen Careerist tells us How To Start Quality Conversation with Someone You Don’t Know
- Shine shares with us How to Make Dazzling Party Conversation
- The Public Speaker tells us How to Schmooze at the Holiday Party
If in doubt, ask random questions, if only to amuse yourself. Do try to work them into conversation naturally, though. Otherwise, you’re Random Girl.
I like these:
- What was your first job and what did you like/hate about it?
- If money wasn’t an issue, what would your dream job be? And then follow up with, why?
- If you were on a desert island, what 3 foods would you want with you?
- What were the best 3 books you’ve read recently?
Here’s to a less awkward holiday season!
- My favorite holiday organization products You’re not going to be surprised when I tell you...
- Hostess Gifts and Other Holiday Gift-Giving Quandries It’s hard enough for me to figure out what to...
- My Love/Hate Relationship with Back to School Night In the last 7 days I’ve been to two Back...