When my husband and I moved into our home a year and a half ago, I knew I loved the spaciousness and smart layout of the kitchen, but I was positive that the 80′s look of the space had to go, as quickly as possible. I’d seriously lay awake at night listening to the dirt I couldn’t scrub away sink into the black grout on the counters. It drove me nuts!
But, the reality was that we didn’t have a ton of cash to spend on a complete kitchen remodel (we just had a baby less than a year ago!) and I certainly knew I couldn’t stand to be out of my kitchen for the 3+ months I’d heard a total re-do could take.
Luckily, we were able to do business with a great construction company called kitchenCRATE, which specializes in new kitchens in 7 days for $15,000. Sign me up!
After spending way too much time obsessing about my finish choices (everything had to be just right, doncha know?) I finally let the KitchenBOX guys do their thing. (If you’ve been following me on Facebook, this won’t be news to you, but I wanted to share the final photos on the blog.)
I can honestly say, it’s now my dream kitchen. Here’s a look at the before and after shots:
I love the clean, fresh look of the space now. I love the durability of the painted cabinets and the laminate flooring. I love the sparkle of the subway tiles when the sun hits them. I love that the new hardware makes the old maple cabinets so much more functional and modern. And I love love love love love the way I can just sweep crumbs right into the sink now, rather than having them get caught on the lip of my old porcelain sink. It’s the little things, right?
And just because I found this so helpful on other blogs when I was making my choices for the kitchen finishes, I’ll include the details:
- Countertop: Giallo Ornamentale granite
- Cabinet Finish: Kelly-Moore Dura-Poxy paint in Behr Antique White
- Backsplash: Daltile Urban Putty 6″x3″ semi gloss subway tile
- Sink: K-3820-4 Kohler two-compartment sink
- Faucet: K-647 Kohler faucet in a satin nickel finish
- Garbage Disposal: InSinkErator Bager 5 garbage disposal
- Wood Flooring: Mohawk Bayview in Toasted Chestnut
- Appliances: Frigidaire Professional
- My Favorite Office Supplies for the Kitchen Today, a guest post from a super clever Penelope, Jennifer....
- Penelope Poll: What would you do? I got an email from a fellow Penelope, Stacy, that...
- Pottery Barn does Stainless Steel well: organization for office or kitchen Time for some organization supply p*rn. My favorite. Normally, stainless...