Most Mommy Penelopes I know think one of the biggest perks of having kids is that they get to share great books with them. I certainly felt this way when my kids were young. In fact, reading aloud to my kids is the single thing I miss most about their younger years. Screaming tantrums? No. Reading? Yes and double yes.
In my experience, though, some books translate better to being read aloud than others. Here is my list of tried and true “read aloud” favorite chapter books. Note that I read these to my kids when they ranged in age from 5-9, but you should (obviously) make sure you’re making the choices that are the best for your young audience.
- The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
- The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
- A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- The Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl
- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
- Tumtum and Nutmeg: Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall by Emily Bearn
- A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Matilda by Roald Dahl
- Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace
- The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
Why shouldn’t this time be as enjoyable for you, too, right?