You all watch plenty of the Food Network and its new, edgier sister network, The Cooking Channel, right? I’ve always been a huge fan. I love to have it on the background while I cook. Makes me feel involved and…proactive… in some weird way. Sort of the flip side of the same emotion that makes me hungry when I watch The Biggest Loser.
But I digress…
One of my very favorite cooking show personalities is the inimitable Nigella Lawson, the voluptuous Brit with a love for all things buttery and gooey. She’s so joyful about food and comfortable with herself. She’s a bit unstructured and, well, messy and she’s most definitely NOT a Penelope, but I think that’s part of my fascination with her.
So, here’s why I want to be Nigella Lawson (at least a little bit):
- She eats at midnight. Not that I think one should eat at midnight, but she allows herself to do it because she wants to. I just don’t give myself that kind of leeway, with food or anything else except sex.
- She isn’t skinny, and man, is she gorgeous! The girl has some weight on her, but she owns it. She loves herself and her body.
- Her food isn’t “healthy” all the time, but it’s good. It’s tactile and beautiful and joyful.
- When she cooks, she talks about throwing in “fat pinches” of things, rather than 2 teaspoons or some such. She’s not exact. She tastes and adjusts as she goes. I don’t do that enough. I’m totally a ‘by the book’ girl.
- She talks freely, and with no shame, about days where she stays in her pajamas and watches movies all day. I don’t do that unless I’m sick. She does it for fun. Because she can. So could I, if I’d let myself.
- She seems to love her daily life. She revels in the small pleasures and doesn’t seem bound up in worry all day, like I am.
Of course, all of this may just be her TV persona, and that’s ok with me. The Nigella Way is something I want to learn from, to experiment with a bit. Just to see how it would feel to let go and have some fun.